Ferno-Washington, Inc, 1963
Dick Ferneau and Elroy Bourgraf decided to combine the names of Washington Mortuary, which had been in business since 1924, and Ferno Manufacturing. Ferno-Washington, Inc. was born in 1963. In 1972, Elroy found an excellent location with ample room to expand. So, the Clinton County Air Force Base in Wilmington, Ohio, became the home of Ferno-Washington, Inc. and its 180 employees. Always looking for other markets in which to invest, Ferno-Washington purchased the Health Care Division of Market Forge in 1983. The Ferno Forge division was established in Boston, Massachusetts, while the Ferno Ille division was located in Williamsport, Pennsylvania. After adding 6,500 square meters to the Williamsport facility, the Ferno Forge division was moved there in 1985.
In 1987, a three-phase plan was implemented to expand the Wilmington facility. Phase One was to enlarge the shipping area, while Phase Two was to connect the existing three buildings under one roof. Phase Three was to move Ille from Williamsport to Wilmington and to sell Ferno Forge to Castle. Subsequently, it was decided to build a three-story administrative complex. In 1988, the Ille division was made at home in its new surroundings. The vacated offices became the spacious new homes for support groups, such as engineering and R&D. Temperature-controlled environments were also built to house Ferno-Washington's sophisticated computer systems. Over the years, Ferno has built and retained its reputation for excellent quality and commitment in the design and manufacture of its vast product range.